Monday, June 15, 2009

A fabulous weekend in Belfast...

"Around me when I look, His handiwork I see; This world is like a picture book to teach His love to me" -Jane E. Leeson

Wow...what an absolutely incredible weekend! I left early Saturday morning to catch the train to Connolly Station in Dublin, then bought a ticket for the bus to take me up to Belfast. Emma met me at the station...it was so wonderful to see her! We went back to her place, had lunch, and then went to pick up Leoni...so great to see her as well! We headed to Giant's Causeway, which was breathtaking. I feel like words cannot even explain it....it was so majestic and beautiful. We also visited Dunluce castle which was near there, and where my photo above was taken. Magnificent. We ate at a nice place called the Smuggler's Inn...the food was delicious, but no surprise because everything I have eaten here has been fabulous.

We went back to drop Leoni off and I got to meet her grandparents and also try "yellow man", which is a sort of hard candy you suck on and tasted kind of like burnt sugar or molasses...I haven't ever tried anything like it but it was good! Later on that night, I went with Emma and her boyfriend to some of their friends' birthday party. I met lots of people there, and they all were talking to me about Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, tornados, religion, and politics. It was interesting... :) I also talked with some of the girls about foods I should try, including potato bread, soda bread, and honeycomb ice cream! I find the accent in Northern Ireland to be harder to understand than the Dublin accent, they just talk really fast and use different words than I'm used to...but I'm getting better at understanding it every day!

We woke up this morning and had a delicous breakfast. Emma and I talked for awhile and relaxed...their house overlooks the harbour and the Irish Sea...it's an amazing view. Afterwards, we got ready and headed to her parent's house for Sunday lunch. Her whole family was there, including her dad Pat, mom Helen, sister Judith, brother Owen, and his wife Dyanne. They were an absolute ball to be with...so much fun! The food was so good...I laughed and talked and had a great time. What a blessing it was to meet them!

After lunch, Emma showed me around Belfast and Queen's University. The city has so many beautiful buildings, and Queen's is very impressive! She dropped me off at the bus station and I made my way back to Dun Laoghaire...though I missed the DART in Dublin by about 3 seconds so I had to wait an extra 30 minutes for the next one! It was ok though, I met 2 guys there at the station that I talked to for awhile, one actually works at the harbour with all the sailing boats, which very close to where I work down on the marina.

That's about all for now...I work a long day tomorrow so it's off to bed! Cheers!

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the skies announce what His hands have made. Day after day they tell the story; night after night they tell it again." -Psalms 19:1-2

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a great time Asha it wonderful to see you again and to share the North of Ireland with you. Have a great trip x em

    ReplyDelete