Monday, June 8, 2009

Follow the Sallynoggin Road...















"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I woke up this morning around 9:00 and for about 1.5 seconds, was confused on where I was. Not only is my body not adjusted to the time difference quite yet, but it stays light outside until about 10pm, and the sun comes up around 5am. I called my internship coordinator to find out what time I was to meet him for my official orientation to Ireland, and he said that he could meet me anytime this morning, I would just have to ride the DART train to Malahide. However, Malahide is 45 minutes away...plus, I had no idea where the DART station was located. I found a map of where the station was supposed to be, and set out to find it. Along the way, I asked 5 different people where the station was...and they all pointed me in 5 different directions! After 45 minutes of walking, I called my internship coordinator, because I didn't think I would be able to make it there and back before I had to report to my internship. Luckily, he said he could meet me in Dun Laoghaire sometime later this week. At this point, it was around 11am, so I decided to just go down Sallynoggin Road (the main road that I take to my internship), and explore the surrounding area. There are many shops and cafes to visit, so that was fun. I found a little bagel/coffee shop and sat down to journal and enjoy downtown Dun Laoghaire. Things here are SO expensive. A bagel and coffee cost around 8 Euro, which is equivalent to $11...it's crazy!

After I finished at the coffee shop, I went to my internship...where I was blown away from the minute I walked in the door. The place is so impressive and professional, the receptionists and managers all wear black suits, white shirts, and black ties and shoes. I met Ruairi and Anna, some of the mangers, both from Ireland, as well as Marta and Robert, who work in the gym and are from Poland. Most of the employees are in their mid-20's, so that's fun :) and all are extremely nice...I know I am going to learn so much! I had a break from 3:30-4:30, so I left and bought a smoothie and went exploring some more down Upper George's road. When I returned, I actually took a Step class that was taught by Aga, who is also from Poland. It was a little tricky because it was a bit different than what I am used to, but it was a blast! I can't wait to take more of the classes, especially Robert's free style dance class. :) When the class was over, I was done for the day so I headed home. The walk from my house to Crunch Fitness takes about 30 minutes, so I will be doing quite a lot of walking while I am here.

One thing I am still getting accustomed to is the fact that they drive on the opposite side of the road here...I have almost gotten hit a few times because of this! I just love walking up and down the streets, enjoying the sites and sounds of Ireland, gazing at the adorable houses with stone fences around them...meeting new people all the time...ahh...it's a wonderful life and I am so blessed :)

1 comment:

  1. Bring me home a cottage and green pasture with a stone wall around it!
    Sounds Sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete