Friday, June 26, 2009

No matter where you go...there you are...


"Our days are identical suitcases - all the same size - but some people can pack more into them than others." -Bits & Pieces

This photo is St. Patrick's Cathedral. Beautiful. :)

Ok...this one is gonna be short...and really random...I am really behind on a few other things but I'm always so excited to post pictures and write about stuff on here. :) So today was fun at work, long again, but fun. I was going to have my first 2 inductions but they both canceled :( So that was sad. Today was interesting because 2 different people asked me if I was Canadian?! I thought that was pretty random. I was walking by one guy who was working out on a machine and he literally looked at me and all he said was, "Canadian. No...Polish. NO...definitely Canadian." I just looked at him and said, "If you are asking where I'm from, I'm American!" So then we laughed and I ended up talking to him for a long while, he was so interested in the wildlife in Kansas?! He is a wildlife photographer and was asking me all sorts of questions...it was hilarious. He wants me to go home and take pictures of nature and send them to him...ha.

The guys here at Crunch are so interesting to watch work out. As I said before, they wear different clothes than gym members in the States...like polo shirts and popped collars, Timberland boots, wrestling shoes, etc. There are a select few blokes who are rugby players and they come in every day...I crack up every time because they always will try to catch one of us girls' eyes and then they will make sure we are watching, then they will literally flex their muscles. It's so funny...one guy even glanced over at us one day, pulled his shirt up, walked over to the mirror, and flexed his abs. It's not like any of us girls are impressed or get weak in the knees...come on...we are so over it, lol.

At one point in the day, I was talking to Ruairi and a guy came up to us and asked, "Sorry, but could I have a plaster?" Thankfully Ruairi was there, because I was completely confused....a plaster? Like for walls? I was racking my brain trying to figure out what he could possibly want...perhaps he wanted a plastic bag? All this was going through my head as I watched Ruairi get out the First Aid kit and hand the man a Band-Aid. I started laughing as I explained to Ruairi that I had absolutely no idea what a plaster was. He got this weird look on his face and was like, "You don't?!" So yes...though they do speak English here, I am occaisionally reminded that they have a whole different kind of vocabulary that I am still learning every day. :)

I got to talk with Ruairi quite a bit today. Turns out, about 5 years ago, he took a year and a half off to travel the world...Fiji, Thailand, New Zealand, South America...all over. That's the thing about Europeans...they travel SOOOO much more than us Americans, and it's completely normal. They go on holiday, or vacation, every few months and no one thinks a thing of it. They actually kind of make fun of Americans and say they would hate to have the daily schedules we have...too much work and not enough play! Here in the States, I feel like it is almost looked down upon for someone to take so much time off to "just travel". I don't know if it's because the "American way" says that you have to go to school, get a degree, get a job, get married, and then have kids...but it really is too bad that us Americans don't travel nearly as often as the Europeans. There is a whole world out there just waiting to be seen and discovered...and I fully intend on doing it, part by part...I really want to visit Italy and Australia next. :)

Cheers for now, I'm off to bed, long day again tomorrow.

"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." -Psalms 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment